Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Inked....again.

I had the privelege of taking Alyssa to get her first tattoo a couple weeks ago - she enjoyed the experience and the results so much that she went and got her second one less than a week later. I have enjoyed getting mine over the last 11 years and decided I was overdue for some more ink work. I've conceptualized many ideas and designs over the last couple years and haven't decided if it will all make it into my skin. The artist, Josh Silvas that tattooed Alyssa is an apprentice at Ink Sanity - he's working up a client base in hopes of making it a full-time, income generating gig. Since he's building his portfolio and reputation, he's doing work for almost nothing. I thought it would be a good opportunity to "test" his skills on one of my simpler ideas - the first 3 words of the United States Constitution - We the people.

It took almost 2 hours last night. I thought it would hurt more than it did. I am extremely pleased with how it turned out:





It's my way of expressing that we need to remember where this country came from and help to steer it back that way - not move backwards, but toward a future based on the morals, principles, and dreams of our forefathers. Written in 1787, ratified in 1788, and in operation since 1789, the United States Constitution is the world’s longest surviving written charter of government. Its first three words – “We The People” – affirm that the government of the United States exists to serve its citizens, a concept often lost in bi-partisan and inter-party fighting that dominates the media. The average citizen feels that he has very little affect on the government, if any. My "statement" is to remind people that we do have a part to play, a vote that counts, and a voice to be heard.

More info on the next round of ink at a later date. Would love to hear your thoughts and comments! Happy New Year!

2 comments: