Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Long weekend

Despite my 4-day being turned into a 3-day, it was very productive. I took last Wednesday off to help Alyssa's uncle Kevin move. It was a snap decision for them to relocate across town and went off without a hitch. Unfortunately, that negated my plan to take Friday off. Regardless, Alyssa and I set our to-do list up and started ticking off items left and right. I finished back-filling the window well area, put down the "cloth," and moved all the rock back to cover it up. Just need a couple tons more rock to finish that job completely.

My darling wife has wanted to paint our main level half-bath since we moved in. She also planned to take the standard wall-to-wall mirror off and replace it with something more classy. Check and check. I did some research on taking down mirrors (especially ones put up using liquid nails) and with the help of a couple different recommendations, we were able to get it down without damage to walls, the mirror, or either of us. Now that it's finished, it looks great! (as usual, pics to follow...)

Our next furniture to-do was the desk (mentioned previously). Alyssa was finally sold off on the idea and the style of the desk, so we painstakingly moved it from the garage to the office/loft upstairs. Even being broken down into the major pieces, the thing was pretty heavy. We moved everything off the old desk, put the pieces in place, screwed it all together, and moved everything back. After getting it all together and stepping back, we were both very pleased with the dark monstrosity. (yeah, yeah....pics later....). Now we just have to find the time to move things into the drawers and cubbies. Having that done, we decided to head East to her parents house for homemade pizza and a movie (Transformers 3). We stayed late watching the movie and finally made the journey home without our adorable, little boy. Since our plan was to be back at their house Saturday morning, we left him for a sleepover instead of waking him up twice to get him home.

Saturday was spent doing family stuff - I'll spare you all the details. After that, we invited our good friends (and neighbors) Steve and Cat over for dinner and to play some Dominion. Alyssa made a taco stew in the crock pot and it was perfect for the end of a cold and snowy Colorado fall day. Great time hanging out, playing games. We enjoyed it so much that we spent Sunday evening at our Pastor's house playing Dominion with them as well.

Monday was a relax day. I try not to take too many "down days," but after the last couple weeks, I felt called to sit around and treat my XBox to some overdue attention. I sometimes wonder why I keep the thing at all - Monday was a tribute to why. I thoroughly enjoyed some quiet, feet-up, not a care in the world time. I did some things around the house, but overall, the day was a wash. I watched Big Trouble in Little China and played XBox. I won't have another good opportunity to do that for a while, so it was great.

Back to work today. Golf tournament on Friday. My new watch should be here today, I hope! Women's Woodworking class to teach tonight. More work on the Oak China Cabinet Thursday night (progress pics below). Trip to the Boston area next week. Busy, busy, busy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment